Helpline Number
040-66623032, +91 8125303032

About GATE

  • Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India Entrance Examination Conducted Jointly by IISC, Bangalore.
  • GATE exam notification comes in the month of September. Test is conducted in the month of January/ February. And the Results are announced in the month of March.
  • The application fee is Rs. 1500/- for General/ OBC and Rs. 750/- for female applicants of any category and SC/ST/PWD Categories.
  • The GATE Score/Rank is used for admissions to postgraduate programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS direct phD) in IISc, IITs and other prestigious Institutes/Universities in India, with fnancial assistance provided by MHRD. The GATE Score may also be used by PSUs for recruitment of candidates for prestigious jobs with attractive salary packages. Some of the PSUs which use GATE score for providing jobs include BARC, BHEL, IOCL, HPCL, NTPC, Power Grid, NHPC etc. GATE exam primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidate in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering. The GATE score reflects the relative performance level in a particular branch. GATE score is valid for three years.

Why GATE

  • Students who qualify in GATE Exam are entitled to a stipend of Rs. 12,400/- per month during their M.E, M.TECH, M.S (By Research) Programs in IISC, IITs, NITs, Central universities, Government colleges, Private colleges.
  • Clearing GATE is also an eligibility clause for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories. M.Tech. degree is mandatory for those wishing to apply for research positions in R&D centers.
  • Many public sector undertaking (PSUs) such as HAL, BHEL, Indian Oil Corporation, NTPC, Power Grid, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (there are PSUs around 200 in number) are using the GATE score for selecting candidates for their organizations.
  • The Students who qualify this test are eligible for doing Master's degree at NTU & NUS, (National University of Singapore), Singapore.
  • A Gate Score will help to get Ph.D admissions in IISc, IITs and Central Universities.
  • A GATE score is preferred for Technical interviews in many Private Sector companies.
  • A GATE score will help to the students to join in reputed companies as well as offcampus recruitments.
  • For those who couldn't pursue their B.Tech in IIT, it provides another opportunity to study in the prestigious IITs.

Academic Eligibility

Completed or final year students of B.Tech /B.E or its equivalent. MSC/MA/MCA can also apply. Candidates with qualifications obtained through examination conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE like AMIE, AMICE as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A are also eligible.

Age Limit

There is no upper age limit.
There is no restriction for Number of attempts.

Pattern

GATE Paper will be a total of 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks, out of which 30 questions will carry one mark each and 35 questions will carry two mark each. For 1 mark MCQs, 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. Likewise, for 2 mark MCQs, 2/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. There is NO negative marking for numerical answer type questions. Examination Paper is a combination of 35 questions from Multiple choice & rest 30 questions are from Numerical answer type.

  • General aptitude will carry 15% of the total marks which consists of (5) one mark questions and (5) two mark questions.
  • Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper. It is of totally 85% which consists of (25) one mark questions and (30) two mark questions.

Structure

GATE Exam will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT) of 3 hrs duration that consists of both Multiple choice questions (MCQ) & Numerical answer type questions. For MCQ type questions, the candidates have to select the answer. For Numerical answer type questions, the candidates have to enter the answer using a mouse on a virtual keyboard.

Cut off Marks

CUT OFF MARKS TO QUALIFY IN GATE 2017 ( OUT OF 100)
Branch AIR 1st Rank General OBC SC/ST/PH No. Of candidates Appeared
CE 92.94 28.7 25.8 19.1 1,18,147
ME 94.85 32.7 29.4 21.8 2,34,727

Announcements

  • GATE / IES -2019 Coaching Admissions are open
  • Weekend & long term batches starts from 6th JANUARY-2018
  • REGULAR batches starts from 6th JANUARY-2018
  • Day batches starts from 6th JANUARY-2018.